ZMA is an acronym for Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate. It is a combination of mineral supplements- zinc, magnesium, and aspartate- that enable the body to function at maximum potential.
Mostly, it is used by body builders, athletes, and gymnasts. For these people, ZMA supplements can help to prevent any soreness of the muscle which may ordinarily occur as a result of the plenty workouts they have to do.
It also helps to do many other things such as enable good sleep, enhance recovery after workouts and boost the immune system. A lot of people are deficient in these basic body minerals without even knowing it.
Deficiencies of any of these supplements could, in any case, lead to serious body malfunctions which what makes ZMA supplements a great choice to help keep the body in its best shape.
This article will tell you what you need to know about ZMA and review the following five ZMA supplements:
Benefits of ZMA Supplements
- They enable healthier immune systems because of the presence of zinc.
- They are great for cognitive abilities and the health of the brain
- They reduce muscle pains and injuries
- They boost energy
- They improve the quality of sleep
- They boost focus
- They enable relaxation and reduce stress
- They boost the strength and endurance of the muscles
- ZMA supplements boost the production of testosterone.
Who Should Use ZMA Supplements?
Just about anyone can take ZMA supplements because the nutrients it contains are suitable for and needed by everyone. However, it is best recommended for people who are deficient in zinc or magnesium and for athletes who need these to replenish what they lose when they work out. If you have been taking ZMA supplements for a while and have not noticed any significant benefits then it is possible you do not need them.
Some people already have sufficient zinc and magnesium from the foods they eat and/or other supplements they take. This would make ZMA supplements an unnecessary option for them.
Watch the video below to know if you are suffering from Zinc deficiencies;
How Should You Take ZMA For Maximum Benefits?
- ZMA should not be taken with food. Many nutrients present in food can inhibit the absorption and use of magnesium and zinc. The magnesium and zinc would, therefore, have poor or no effects as a result of poor absorption.
- The functions of these supplements increase during sleep. It is, therefore, better to take the supplements about thirty to sixty minutes before bed and on a vacant stomach.
- If you are man, take ZMA supplements that provide 30mg of zinc, 450mg of magnesium and about 10 to 11 mg of vitamin B6
- If you are a woman, take ZMA supplements that provide 20mg of zinc, 300mg of magnesium and about 6 to 7 mg of vitamin B6
- ZMA should be taken every day.
How Do ZMA Supplements Work?
ZMA supplements work by sending high levels of nutrients which can cause sleep into your body. Most of the benefits which ZMA can deliver such as the relaxation and healing of the muscles, increase in energy levels and the boosting of the immune system would them happen during this period of sleep. Generally, ZMA supplements are more effective when the body is at rest.
Side Effects of ZMA
ZMA supplements are by themselves great for the body and have no known side effects. The negative part of consuming these supplements can, however, happen in the event that they are taken in excess. Taking ZMA in excess can lead to excess accumulation of zinc in the body and may not be safe.
Here are a few things that can result from taking ZMA supplements in too large doses.
- Taking more than 100mg of zinc daily puts you at a higher risk of prostate cancer. This risk is especially prominent if you take this dosage of ZMA supplements daily for up to ten years.
- Excess zinc can cause stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
- Zinc can make prescription drugs less effective upon interaction
- The anabolic effects of ZMA supplements can lead to the production of red blood cells in excess. This situation increases the risk of heart disease.
- ZMA supplements also have the potential to cause hair loss and balding because of the presence of zinc. In as much as zinc can be great for hair growth, an excess of it can begin to have adverse effects.
- Excess zinc from the consumption of too much ZMA supplements can cause altered iron function, low copper status, and a weakened immune system.
- Side effects such as difficulty in breathing, dizziness or fainting and muscle paralysis can also occur due to excess magnesium even though these are rare.
- Excessive intake (more than 100 mg per day for adults) of Vitamin B6 can cause ski reactions, abnormal heart rhythm and even bleeding.
- Some consumers of ZMA supplements have complained that ZMA sometimes causes vivid dreams which interfere with sleep.
Note that if you are taking water pills or antibiotics, you should talk to your doctor before taking ZMA.
Review of the Five Best ZMA Supplements
This has been HPLC tested for high potency and purity. It also features the patented ZMA formula from SNAC system. It contains zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 in ratios that are scientifically proven. It also contains Silicon Dioxide and cellulose and is great for the production of healthy hormones. This ZMA supplement is also great to ensure good sleep.
|It is good for vegetarians|
|It supports the production of healthy hormones|
|It promotes lean mass|
|It naturally boosts testosterone|
|It encourages quality sleep|
|It enables quick recovery of muscles after workouts|
This ZNA supplement does great in boosting testosterone levels and muscle strength in athletes. It comes, too, with the SNAC system blend of magnesium, zinc and Vitamin B6. It is also great for enabling quality sleep.
|It enables quality sleep||It may not be the best choice for women because it contains zinc, magnesium and Vitamin B6 in the quantities prescribed for men.|
|It helps to boost testosterone levels|
|It increases muscle strength and size|
|It enables quick muscle recovery|
|It helps to increase endurance|
This is formulated to maximise absorption and is great to enable recovery from workouts. It also enables the maintenance of a healthy immune system as well as enables the repair of tissues. This ZMA supplement will also boost energy levels.
|It strengthens the immune system||It contains Gelatin and so may not be the best choice for vegetarians|
|It enables tissue repairs|
|It promotes recovery from workouts|
|It maximizes absorption|
|It encourages better sleep|
Here’s another good ZMA supplement that promotes recovery, performance and deep sleep. It also enhances the testosterone levels as well as quickens healing and the repair of tissues. It is great too in improving endurance and the strength of the muscle.
|It encourages deep sleep||It may make it difficult to wake up from sleep|
|It enhances testosterone levels|
|It speeds up recovery after workouts|
|It improves endurance|
|It enhances the strength of the muscle and helps to prevent sore muscles|
|It enables tissue repairs|
This is another effective ZMA supplement that boosts the health of the immune system. It also boosts hormone levels and protein synthesis. It supports growth as well as recovery from workouts, strength and a good sleep. It is also designed to maximize magnesium absorption and enhance the functions of the nerves and muscles. This ZMA supplement is also great for the health of the bone.
|It supports recovery from workouts||It may not be suitable for women|
|It builds strength|
|It enhances good sleep|
|It is good for bone health|
|It enhances nerve and muscle functions|
|It maximises magnesium absorption|
|It boosts the immune system|
The benefits of ZMA supplements are numerous and their ability to provide the body’s daily need for zinc and magnesium make them an excellent choice.
We have seen, however, that they can begin to have adverse effects when taken in excess. It is therefore advisable to keep the dosage within the boundaries of normal or as specifically prescribed by a health care provider.
The above-reviewed ZMA supplements are among the most effective there are of these supplements. You can choose to have anyone of them that suits you best and gives you the best results. The Prima Force ZMA Dietary Supplement, reviewed above appears, however, to be the best on the list, and we have given it 5/5 rating and has many listed benefits so you may want to try it first.
Did you like “What Is The Best Fat Burner for Women?”? We would greatly appreciate if you share it on Facebook and Tweet it.